Thursday, July 23, 2009

“guess we need a cat. named silky.” – lucas jude

mice 047

we live right next to a big ‘ol empty field. it’s made of dirt and sagebrush. and it’s really hot outside. we were just talking the other day about how it’s probably home to all kinds of crazy creatures.

on monday, early afternoon-ish i got a call from andrey.

“i’ve got some bad news,” he said.
“i saw a mouse in the kitchen this morning.”

apparently he’d seen a mouse in the pantry – chased it through our bedroom where i had been sleeping soundly with gavin and into our bathroom closet. where only a few hours before this phone call i had dug through to find my other gray flip flop. like really DUG through.  he then made the decision to go ahead and leave for work anyways.
and then the decision to not call and let me know until well into our day.

i grabbed my kiddos and left the house. we didn’t come home until andrey was home from work.

later that night we scrubbed this house. every.single. crumb. and by we – i mean andrey. while i stood on a chair and kept a good look out. a totally necessary task.
and set a few traps.

my call to andrey early this morning:
me: ummmm. babe? that trap we have in the laundry room – you know???  the peanut butter is completely gone. seriously! like completely! that beast licked it clean!”
andrey: what?! what the  <<@!#$>>  kind of mouse traps did you buy?
me: what the  <<@!#$>>  kind of mouse are we dealing with here?!

that teeny tiny thing has got me all freaked out. i will NOT be switching over the laundry today. 
that RAT is ferocious!
what do i do?

i want my dad.

21 comments:

  1. i TOTALLY would have done the same EXACT thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had lots of experience with these nasty critters. The best thing to do is buy Decon, its green pellets that they eat then die. Ya its gross because they could die in your walls and such but it reall works. Hide it under the sink and in places where kids can't get it. Oh ya and if that doesnt work you have to use nasty sad sticky traps. I wont even get into my story about those:0) .... good luck babe..... its so nasty

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh - lace remember those crazy jumping mice in your closet back in the day. SCREAM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sucks. Seriously. =( Hope Andrey catches it soon and without you seeing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh. we had mice in our last apartment. they were getting in through the dryer vent. not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. pretend your not afraid of it, let it know who's boss. Some people have mice for pets. But yea I don't know exactly how to get rid of it, we once had one in our garage but we haven't seen any since. Once I caught one and fed it to my cat, that'll get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mice were here first. I suggest you move and demolish your house on the way out. Seriously, though--the poison or the spring-loaded traps will be just as dangerous to your kids as to your mouse. We've got a few box traps you can borrow--we caught 3-4 mice several years ago with them. Took them to the field and let them go. Haven't seen mice since. Make peace with mother nature and she'll make peace with you. Fight her and she'll fight back--and win.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the dryer vent? what?! i've also since learned that mice are not limited to the ground. just when i thought i was safe on my table. thanks for that, mom.
    ++++
    i have had thoughts of moving. apparently no where is safe.
    ++++

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wait until it starts chewing your hair at night. Then set a trap, a few days later, catch it, release it and then have it back chewing your hair again the NEXT night! Then catch it again and watch it die. By the time my missionary comp. and I had caught him, we had named him: Howie. It was sort of sad killing Howie, but only sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously...get a cat!!! I catch our cat out catching and eating mice all the time. I live right next door to a chicken coup and there are mice EVERYWHERE...but NEVER in my house!

    For instant results...get a grown up cat...a kitten won't be as ready to hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok. so what does getting a cat involve exactly??

    ReplyDelete
  12. You poor, poor woman. If I weren't leaving today for Portland, I would have you come over all day long until that mouse was caught. I hate, hate, hate mice so much it makes me cry and I'm not even exaggerating. I love this picture because it's hilarious, but hate it because it means you're dealing with a rodent. I would move out to a hotel until that beast is caught, and dead.

    By the way, Kyle would have been in the dog house if he knew there was a mouse in the house and didn't tell me. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  13. we've had problems too, when they built in the field behind us. we set traps all around (where kids couldn't reach) we got a cat(he ran away) finally, hubby went around our foundation and exterior walls and sprayed foam into ANY crack he saw...no matter how small. we haven't had problems since.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ewwwww!!!! better call an exterminator! gross!!! We had a mouse problem a few years ago, and we got an electronic thing that keeps rodents away. knock on wood, but we haven't had a problem since.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now that I think about it, all the cats we have had in the past found their way to us. My rule is that I don't spend a lot of money on them and they live outside. I guess that wouldn't help with an inside mouse though. My sister works at an animal shelter. Or check the newspaper. Silky can't wait to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You can have your cat back now, Chicken. We've been saving her for your family. Please come and get her. She'll keep the mice away.

    ReplyDelete
  17. and dad is right.
    chicken doesnt do anything but roam around outside and sleep in teh garage. she will keep them away.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lin...I would suggest an animal shelter. You will find many grown up cats there with more "mousing" experience. Plus...the grown up cats tend to be harder to find homes for because they are not the "cute, playful" little kittens!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh my goodness. i love this post. lindsay, we need to chat. did you make it to blitzen trapper? i want to hear all about it if you did.

    ReplyDelete